has anyone ever done this....

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 5 15:19:43 MST 2007

On 11/5/07, Brian Doepke <bdoepke at verizon.net> wrote:

>  I have a client that lives pretty far away and I have a new single wound
> string to replace in her piano.  In order to save another trip out there *
> *after** it is installed…you know, for string +stretch+ , is there a way
> to pre-stretch the string so that there will be minimal stretch after it is
> installed?
>

> *Brian P. Doepke, (dep-kee)*
>
> *R.P.T. (Registered Piano Technician)*
>
> *AAA Piano Works, Inc.*
>
> Piano Tuning-Repair-Purchase Consults
>
> *260.417.1298*
>
> *260.432.2043*
>
> *    www.aaapianoworks.com*

Hi Brian,

I do it more often than I care to! I don't know of a way to Pre-stretch the
string, you should be able to tune it about 25c sharp and pound it flat then
take it sharp again. What I usually end up doing is blocking the new string
off with an extra mute or piece of felt until I get back by to re-tune it a
few times. New strings just ain't fun or profitable when the customer is too
far away, that's why I've gotten very good at knotting broken bass strings!
<grin>
Mike

--
The way some people find fault, you'd think there was some kind of reward.
Michael Magness
email mike at ifixpianos.com