has anyone ever done this....

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 21:01:26 MST 2007

On 11/5/07, Brian Doepke <bdoepke at verizon.net> wrote:

> I have a client that lives pretty far away and I have a new single wound
> string to replace in her piano.  In order to save another trip out there
> *after* it is installed…you know, for string +stretch+ , is there a way to
> pre-stretch the string so that there will be minimal stretch after it is
> installed?

I have thought about doing this, but you could only realistically do
it on a vertical bass string.  Maybe a vertical treble string if you
put the bend down through the pressure bar.  Otherwise, going through
the agraffes with the coils might be a wee difficult.

I don't ever count on a string stretching to just the right pitch.
But, sometimes it does work out really close.

There are some things to do.  Like squeezing the coils around the pin
with a vice grips or pliers. Using an impact coil tightener.  Gently
stretching the string with a string roller or brass rod.  Bringing the
string sharp, then whacking it with hard blows until it comes down.
Then leaving it as sharp as you can without it being too offensive.  I
had a universal string replacement today.  After doing all the above,
I left it about 10 cents or so sharp.

JF

Did you know that Ron Paul supporters have donated over $3,800,000 to
his presidential campaign today?  Yes, that's millions, and that's
today, this November 5th.