has anyone ever tried this?

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Nov 6 18:01:40 MST 2007

I'm surprised this thread has had this much life! If one feels the need to
have pre-stretched strings, I'm quite sure it could be accomplished with a
simple jig. Cut an appropriate length (just a bit longer than you want your
string) of 2x4 (or hardwood - but I think Homerwood would work), epoxy/dowel
a square-ish hunk of pinblock (or just any old hunk of maple or other good
hardwood) to each end, drill and pound a hitch pin into one hardwood end and
a tuning pin into the other. Put a string on there and pull it up to, or
just shy of, your target pitch - your string on the stretcher is a bit
longer than it will be on the piano, so at your target pitch, it will be
under a little bit more tension than it will experience on the piano (I hope
I have that right).

If you keep the string down close to the 2x4, I wouldn't think you'd have
any trouble with the 2x4 folding up in half or anything. Leave it on there a
few days and you gots yourself a stretched string. Just cut it off the jig
and you have your pre-stretched string with a hitch bend already on it.

Yes?

Terry Farrell