has anyone ever tried this?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Nov 8 05:37:54 MST 2007

> I sent this yesterday, but don't know if it went through.  So here it is again.
>
> On 11/7/07, Ron Nossaman <rnossaman at cox.net> wrote:
>
>> In other words, it's the bends.
>
> OK, I'll ask questions because I can't observe a new string right now
> in order to answer this experimentally.
>
> So if it is all in the bends, theoretically one could fully stabilize
> a string at one session, right?

Theoretically.

>I haven't ever tried to verify that
> because I've been told for years that it *always* takes time for
> stabilization to occur.  (I.e., because the wire is stretching.  Maybe
> I need to occasionally switch out of lemming mode.  "But my mentor
> said....")

If you get the chance, try this with the replacement of two
strings. On one, squeeze and massage the string around the
hitch, sharpen the bends at bridge pins, front and rear
duplexes, and capo, and tap, squeeze, and massage the coil at
the tuning pin, pressing the becket in firmly as you do. On
the other, don't do any of this other than perhaps lifting and
leveling the strings to mate the hammer. Tune both and leave
them alone for a couple of weeks and see how much each goes
out. Tune both and do the settling routine again on both and
see how much each drops in pitch. It can be pretty impressive.

> It follows that if stabilization is immediately possible, why does it
> take up to a year for strings to stabilize in a new piano?  Is it
> because the cost of labor to stabilize would outweigh the benefit of
> immediate stabilization?
>
> JF

Some of this is initial compaction of wood in a new piano, but
I expect that if we took the time to do the settling routine
throughout with the first tuning, they would stabilize more
quickly. The manufacturer wouldn't benefit from quick
stabilization, so they aren't interested in paying for it, nor
is the dealer for the same reason. The customer would benefit,
but they will want to know why it's their expense on a new
piano, and why it wasn't already done at the manufacturing or
sales level.

So a new piano takes a year or more to "stabilize", and will
likely need a pitch raise some time in the first year before
it settles down.
Ron N