has anyone ever tried this?

Gary Fluke gary.fluke at verizon.net
Thu Nov 8 17:13:54 MST 2007

Don,

How about the UST-9?  Is that not a continuation of the UST-7?  I believe
the UST-8 is an entirely different piano.  I have recently worked on two
UST-5's of seventies vintage and they are fine pianos.

One of the UST-5's has a much brighter and more percussive tone than the
other.  After filling the hammers I had to soften them considerably to get
it to sound more like a UST normally does.  A friend of mine said the
hammers may have been juiced by the dealer when it was new.  It is a
one-owner piano.  Kawais in general seem to be quite consistent in tone from
one piano to the next.

Gary Fluke
Snohomish, WA