Cracked Apron Question and Serial# Help

KeyKat88 at aol.com KeyKat88 at aol.com
Fri Nov 9 05:51:32 MST 2007

Greetings,

         A church has a free old Rudolf upright piano serial# 26537.   It's a
pretty well built piano, except it has a split apron, and it has a ghost glue
to move the apron from side to side against the sound board to see if it was
loose. It wont budge. I cannot tell if someone reglued it back on the sound
board.

Q. Would a piano's apron be loose enough to move even if the glue joint was
broken? In other words, would the downbearing/tension of the strings hold the
apron in place, even though the glue gave out?

If the thing was re-glued, the tech was awfully neat with the glue. Either
that, or it wasnt glued. I cannot tell. There is no dried oozed glue! Piano
sounds great for its age.

Q. How do I to repair so that it wont cost a small fortune? My guess is to
loosen the bass strings, lightly hammer a small wedge of wood between the
soundboard and apron, to temporariy separate them and then pour in some quality wood
glue and remove the wedge.

What is this piano's age? Thanks in advance!

5 year rookie
Julia Gottshall
Reading, PA