1939 Steinway wippens

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri Nov 9 17:14:50 MST 2007

At 15:29 -0500 9/11/07, Erwinspiano at aol.com wrote:

>   JD
>   The generally held rumor is that the wood was treated with a
>tallow solutionÊof some kind & ooops,ÊÊit didn't work,

Aah, finally I understand -- and another list member tells me
off-list that it is particularly a Steinway problem.  I guess they
must have patented this wonderful process, as they have patented all
sorts of other nine day wonders.  When I have time I'll seek out the
patent and discover the whole grisly truth.

>  But then this, is, after all, the incredible good fortune for
>American Techs.  You see ....it keeps us employed.

Indeed!  Certain British action makers had all sorts of ways to keep
technicians employed, but luckily most of the lousy pianos they were
fitted to have now disappeared.

As to tallow used in moderation, I'm not sure this Steinway
experience should give it a bad name altogether.  I doubt if a light
smear of tallow in the pins can do any harm and am cautiously
experimenting at the moment with a little pot of deer tallow I got
from a German supplier.

>   I looove this company. grin.  Hope you are well

Wrapping up for my first winter in the new workshop which I can't
afford to heat!  How's that old Brinsmead coming on?

JD