The Duplex affect

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Nov 11 14:12:51 MST 2007

> */Hi Dave/*
> */  I agree about the rear duplex. It's the front one we need to do away
> with mainly by increasing draft angels & keeping the energy in the
> vibrating speaking length where it can offer the most tonal/musical
> impact./*
> */  Yes... it makes you a control freak....and so?  That's what we get
> paid the big bucks for./*
> */  Dale/*
>
>     Dave P. wrote
>
>   I’m with you on the duplex scale thing.  */_The rear duplex probably
> adds some high frequency sounds more of a cymbalstern effect since all
> the frequencies are singing along with the vibration of the bridge.
> That’s fine unless it gets obnoxious_/*.

As long as it's not muted, and has some realistic length to
it, the rear duplex will make noise somewhere in sympathy with
what's being played whether it's tuned or not. When the front
makes noise, it's typically obnoxious. Making the duplex
segments short keeps them quiet. They still have to flex as
the string vibrates and the string rocks across the V bar, so
muting them kills tone even when they aren't themselves making
audibly detectable noise. Grind those tuned suckers off, and
put a half round brass counter bearing as close to the V as
you can get to keep the segment short, and all sorts of
problems go away.
Ron N