follow up: RE: New Stein. A loose hammer flanges

David Renaud drjazzca at yahoo.ca
Mon Nov 12 09:49:13 MST 2007

David,

I have a situation where I might decide to repin the
hammer sections, and your post probably pushed me over
the edge.   I do have a few questions for you.

What do you feel is the ideal size?

   Whatever size it takes to be just tight in the
birds eye. Then fit the bushing to the pin for
proper friction. Maninno bushing tools work very
well for this, much much better then the older version
of reamers and files. The new Steinway took #21 for
the most part. One flange required a #22 to have a
tight Birdseye, #21 would rotate.
    The piano dictates the size. Mind you, if we
would require a #24 pin in a new piano for the sake of
the Birdseye,  I would say the flanges are near the
end of their usable life, and we have a warranty
issue.

How long does it take to pin an entire set of flanges?

   I can do it in 4 hours. Could get faster, I believe
2 hours is possible with an apprentice helping me. Get
a routine down. Remove every second
hammer flange screw with an electric screwdriver
quickly. I do every second hammer as a gang to
preserve hammer spacing. I put the even numbers back
then proceed with odd # hammers. Ganging tasks
saves time. Having the even(or odd) hammers laid out
and pop all the centre pins at once, test all the
pins, cut them all at once, screw them in all at once.

Think about ways not to have to pick up, and put down
tools 500 times.
   The proper modern burnishing tools are very
efficient.

   If in doubt about selling, or doing the job,
do one pin. Listen and believe.

Presently it takes me about a day, or eight hours.   I
do like the results I am getting, but I would like to
know if I am in the ball park on time.

We all know there are people who restring in four
hours, but I am not one of them.

Your thoughts would be welcome news to me.

William

PIANO BOUTIQUE
William Benjamin
The tuner alone,