Fireproof action?

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Mon Nov 12 19:44:26 MST 2007

Ed

As you probably know, smoke gets into everything, under, around and through the entire action. Even if you put the whole piano, much less the action, in a smoke enders room, it won't remove the soot that penetrated the action parts, including the hammer felt,?punchings felts, under key felts, etc.. It will also corrode all metal parts, pins of all sorts, including?the center pins inside the Teflon?bushings. In other words, to be safe, replace all the action?parts. ?If you don't recommend for it to be done now, while the insurance is still handing out checks, they won't do it in 10 years when all these parts start developing problems.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Honolulu, HI
Author of