Silica Gel Packs

Phil Ryan pryan2 at the-beach.net
Mon Nov 12 19:59:55 MST 2007

Opened a ten year old Belarus upright piano and found three cloth bags
of silica gel hanging from the lid hinges resting on the felt silencer
bar against the tuning pins.  Later found three more "pillows" in the
bottom of the piano.  They had been there since the piano was new.  When
I mentioned to the owner of the uselessness of these old bags, she
stressed that the last two tuners of the piano told her they were still
beneficial and had been keeping it in tune all these years.  I dutifully
replaced them in their original places after the tuning and left.  Am I
nuts? (Be nice)  We used to throw these away at the dealer at prep
time.  Have times changed?  Are ten year old silica gel sacks still
viable?  Can they harm a piano, other than falling into the action?

Phil Ryan
Miami Beach