Kawai EPs

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 13 07:17:49 MST 2007

Hi Matt,

I wouldn't hazard an opinion on tone since we are talking an electric
grand and a good sound person can do a lot with it. I can give you a
very strong opinion on tuning if these are the same type of electric
grand pianos I have experience with. The type with tunable strings
crossing a ceramic pickup instead of a bridge. The main difference
between the Yamahas and the Kawai is the Yamaha uses a 2 string unison
strung like a regular piano with individual wound strings. The problem
being for any tuning other than very minor pitch changes, because
there are no bridge pins for friction, the string has a tendency to
pull around the hitch pin.
Kawai uses double string unisons also but they are single strings with
a loop on the end of each, so they can be brought up from a 50c
deficet without pulling around!!
I have tuned both on more occasions than I care to remember and
discussed them with other techs and we agreed that the Kawai was
designed with the tuner/tech in mind.

Mike

--
Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking
both directions anyway.
email mike at ifixpianos.com