follow up: RE: New Stein. A loose hammer flanges

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue Nov 13 14:58:40 MST 2007

At 14:52 -0500 10/11/07, William Benjamin wrote:

>What do you feel is the ideal size?
>How long does it take to pin an entire set of flanges?
>
>Presently it takes me about a day, or eight hours.   I do like the
>results I am getting, but I would like to know if I am in the ball
>park on time.

That's nearly 6 minutes per centre.  I have always charged for the
job at 1 minute per centre not including removing the parts from the
rails and reassembly.  Pick up, decentre, broach, test, (rebroach,
test), push in pin, cut ends flush, put down.  How can that take 6
minutes?

>We all know there are people who restring inÊfour hours, but I am
>not one of them.

Nor am I. I occasionally used a retired factory stringer in the past
and he could string and chip up an upright in 4 hours at the age of
70.  That is just over one minute per string.  The quality was
"English factory quality".  If he had been trained to do high class
work, it would probably have taken him 6 hours.  I reckon 8 hours for
an upright not including preparatory work, because I am not doing it
every day and because I'm fussy.  This is about the same as my
colleague in the next town.

There is no virtue at all in taking longer over a job than it ought
to take to do it well.  On the contrary, most jobs that do take
longer are rarely done properly.

JD