Collard and Collard

David Doremus algiers_piano at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 13 22:29:22 MST 2007

A couple of things spring to mind. The plate may not be a plate as such
but several braces bolted together and to the beams with nose bolts,
possibly set into the front of the stretcher above the tuning pins.
After years of compression the whole thing may be very difficult to get
apart and cast iron is brittle. DAMHIK. The soundboard is probably
ribbed differently, the scale wont make a lot of sense in modern terms,
the action is English style, no rep lever, and needs a shallow dip, a
whisper of lost motion, and no change in hammer weight. Dampers likely
screw into the underlevers and must be handled carefully, they may have
leather or parchment hinges that also need careful handling. Abel can
recover hammer moldings and do part repairs if needed. My approach to
these, colored by my upbringing with the harpsichord and fortepiano
tribe, is to keep everything as original as possible. In fact, I have
twice had great success reversing "improvements" by well intentioned but
misguided, or unwilling to think outside the box, modern piano
technicians. In my experience, Collards are good instruments for their
time, better than the Broadwoods and Kirkmans. If you work on it, let it
tell you how it wants to be set up, dont try to force it into modern
piano mode, and the result will be satisfactory. Some of the English
folks may see more of these and have different opinions. Hope this helps,

--Dave
  New Orleans