The Duplex affect --an experiment

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Nov 14 10:19:01 MST 2007

> It's natural to want the impossible so here goes.  I wish we could test
> whether the "duplex sound wonderfulness" could be duplicated without
> front duplex by normal hammer voicing.  In other words, if there is no
> front duplex do we lose something that can't be replaced by control of
> the hammer.
>
> dp

You have one there with the tuned duplexes eliminated, what do
you think? Do you miss the duplex sound wonderfulness? The
SD-10-B I did for Bob Hull has an effective front duplex
segment length of about 10mm. Neither of these duplexes make
noise that I can detect, and to my ear, both pianos sound
better than new stock. So what's a tuned front duplex that's
intended to make noise for, exactly?
Ron N