pre-stretching update

Brian Doepke bdoepke at verizon.net
Fri Nov 16 17:56:58 MST 2007

I could not build a stretching jig before installing the new string.  I took
the advise of some smart techs out there and focused on making the string
tight in the tuning pin hole and securing the wraps and tapping down the
string at the hitch pin.   Then I slowly brought the string to ½ step above
pitch and let it sit for awhile as I straightened up my tool kits in the
van.  After about 15 minutes, I checked the pitch of the string and it had
not dropped at all, so I tuned it “slightly”, very slightly,  above correct
pitch and left.

Thank you all for your input.

Brian P. Doepke, (dep-kee)
R.P.T. (Registered Piano Technician)