Steinway action noise

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Fri Nov 16 20:34:58 MST 2007

>>They have paid for something they didn't get.

Actually, they got everything they paid for. They awarded the bid to a cheap
price and that is precisely what they got. Don't place all the blame on the
tech.

About 15 years ago a small local college (not a music college) had me redo
their "concert" instrument- a 9' Baldwin. It was my first 9' rebuild.
Another local rebuilder who was better than me also bid on the job (I
brought him in, actually). I strongly recommended they use the other guy but
they went with me instead to save a few thousand dollars. When I was done it
was pretty nice, the professors were very complimentary and said it never
sounded better. But they ended up having the other guy redo it a few years
later- which was okay with me. I had given them full disclosure and they
wanted to save a few dollars.

BTW, the other rebuilder told me that the biggest mistake I made was not
curving the hammer strike line in the upper 2 octaves when I hung them. That
was, of course, before I was on this list. Now everyone who reads the list
knows this trick!

In this season of reflecting on all our blessings allow me to say how
thankful I am for all of you and your generous willingness to share your
wealth of knowledge that has come to you at great cost. I know I am a better
tech/tuner because of all of you. Thank you!

Blessings to you all,

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272