Steinway action noise

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sat Nov 17 13:51:03 MST 2007

Hi Bob
  A beautiful dispassionate non judgmental evaluation of skill  level vs.
consequence. We are all at different places in our learning  curve. I have
experienced this on numerous occasions in my own career &  I can heartily say, don't
over estimate your own ability when in  doubt & do not be afraid to network
with others who's opinion you  value. The lsit is perfect forum to implement
this philosophy.
  My Thanks, my Friend
  Dale

>>They have  paid for something they didn't get.
Actually, they got  everything they paid for. They awarded the bid to a cheap
price and that is  precisely what they got. Don’t place all the blame on the
tech.

Dean,

It isn't a matter of blame, but of  responsibility. We have all done work for
which we were not ready. It's a way  to gain experience, but we pay a price
one way or another; either in extra  time on the job, having to re-do the work,
having to hire an expensive  consultant to help us, or, worst, in damage to
reputation.

Price competition is the basis  of our economy. If I charge more and don't
differentiate my work from the  person who works for less, I'm going to lose the
job. I'm sure the tech didn't  say, "I'll charge $x,xxx and return an action
that doesn't match either  the original design, objective manufacturer's
specifications, or subjective  performance qualities that your musicians expect,
and that other technicians  can produce." He might have done his absolute best,
but it doesn't appear to  fulfill either the explicit or implicit requirements
of this job. The school  may have learned the same lesson that we as techs
learn when we buy a cheap  tool, expecting it to perform like a more expensive
one; but I still suspect  they were promised more than they were provided. This
is not a case where tiny  details of regulation are a matter of preference;
it appears to be a  case where objective criteria of function were not met.

Finally, I really don't mean this as a  lambasting of the technician. When we
work for accomplished musicians  who require a machine matching their skill
level, we meet their  expectations or we don't. If we don't, we pay. No moral
judgment here; it's  just one of the realities in any skilled profession.

Cordially,
Bob  Davis