Downbearing Error

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Nov 19 11:52:40 MST 2007

Its my fault Dale.  Cant really understand it either... I measured back
and forth so many times and was sure I had it right.  Despite that after
getting all the strings on and starting to chip up to pitch I noticed
the problem.

Any good advice as to how to proceed will be greatly appreciated.  The
piano actually sounds reasonably ok... a bit choked... but actually ok.
But I am sure over the long term the excess bearing will do the panel no
good at all.  And I am also pretty sure that easing up will improve the
sound a bit as well.

Thanks
RicB

Ric
  Are these original caps  or one you installed?
  Dale

    Hi  folks

    Looking for advice as to how to go about correcting a downbearing
    error.  There is too much downbearing.  The thought is to remove
    bridge
    pins ... say five unisons at a time.... shave down the bridge top
    string
    up again.  This will necessitate plugging bridge pin holes and
    redrilling as I need to come down probably 2-3 mm in places.

    The  high spot of string deflection is the leading edge of the bridge.
    My  question is whether its best to leave the back edge at the
    height it
    is  and angle the bridge surface down more towards the leading
    edge... or
    should I remove equally across the entire surface of the bridge ?...
    or
    is there another way of going about this.

    I cant change anything  about the plate height in this instance. I have
    to accomplish this by  altering the bridge.  Back lengths are too
    long to
    raise them enough  by half rounds... and that would look wrong here
    anyways.

    Thanks for  any input.

    Cheers