Sympathetic Vibration

Arlie Rauch adarpub at midrivers.com
Tue Nov 20 10:34:18 MST 2007

I tuned for a customer yesterday who complained of a sympathetic
vibration.  The piano is a nice Yamaha studio, just a few years old.
The mother of the house was not home, but her daughter who takes
lessons was.  When I struck the C below middle C, she said, There's
the vibration.  The sound was being made by a wallhanging, which,
incidentally was a curvy metal musical staff with a couple notes on
it.  Damping that solved the problem.

This morning the customer called certain that the vibration had been
there before the wallhanging had (not that she was still hearing
it).  Only problem is that that was the only vibration we heard, it
was identified by the pupil, and damping it eliminated the problem.

The customer thinks it's in the piano.  Just wondering whether any of
you have noticed strange vibrations associated with Yamaha pianos.
I've tuned quite a few, and I've never noticed anything strange
typical of that brand and especially difficult to trace.

Arlie Rauch