Boston Pianos

Rob & Helen Goodale rrg at unlv.nevada.edu
Tue Nov 20 18:49:45 MST 2007

Carbon composite action parts are NOT plastic, i.e. the nasty crumbly crap used on 1950s spinet elbows.  It is a completely different product.  More then likely the stuff will still be intact when archeologists dig up samples 3,000 years from now.  This is the stuff they use to make golf clubs and military aircraft wings.  It's not going anywhere.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV

  Boston Pianos

  I'm sure the carbon composite parts have gone through extensive R & D that will show they will last longer than traditional wood parts, but I wonder if in 50 years the carbon composite parts will crumble in the pianos and some poor piano technician will have to tell a piano owner that the piano will have to have all the CC action parts replaced.  Wood parts have proven their durability and I'm partial to them.  They may not be as stable as CC parts but they've proven their worth.  As far as I know the only major brand of vertical piano that truly uses all wood parts is the Baldwin Studio Upright.  The Boston uses some aluminum in rails, etc.

  Joy!

  Elwood