Steinway Old Action Picture [was Steinway action noise]

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Nov 21 02:25:16 MST 2007

Hi JD

How can this difference be delt with by raising the front of the flange
?  I havent done the trig to figure it out... but off hand seems like to
gain 1 mm spread by rotating the flange on its 23 mm arc you'd need
quite a raise.  Perhaps I am in error here.  In any case you are not
repositioning the centerpin horizontally so much, which means the
knuckles horizontal location will be basically unchanged... which means
the jack will still have to be angled inwards just about as much to meet
the knuckle core.

Grin... puzzle for the day ... I suppose I'm going to have to dig out my
math books agin... :).  How much arc travel does the hammer flange
center pin have to travel upward and away from the whippen flange center
to increase its spread by 1 mm ?

Cheers
RicB

    The difference between 23mm centre to rail-midpoint on the old flange
    and 24mm on later flanges can be allowed for by packing the top of
    the lever flange, as has been discussed, without affecting much the
    behaviour of the action, but there is no way a 10mm roller can be
    used rather than the original 9mm roller without severely interfering
    with the geometry of the action.

    JD