Current Value of Yamaha C7

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 21 07:52:05 MST 2007

Hi all,

This is a unique situation for a small church I have come to tune for
since they acquired this piano. At this writing it is on loan/tryout
for a period
of time while the church decides if it is suitable for them, (and if
they can afford it). I believe it is also an opportunity for the owner
to ascertain whether his 2 daughters, who were the pianists in the
family, will be able to take into one of their homes. At this time
neither can, the owners son is a member of the church and brokered the
deal. The piano is too large, too big a sound, for the church however
they do have plans for an addition
and I did tell them we could probably do something with acoustic
baffling using egg crate foam rubber to create a more pleasing sound.
They have to play it with the top closed and it can still be a little
loud.

Now to the condition and particulars of the instrument, a Yamaha C7
#E4281093 built in the latter part of 1986. When I first saw it in the
owners
home it was filthy and hadn't been tuned in several years but wasn't
all that badly out of tune! The owner owns a large business that deals
in
handcrafted wood furniture and cabinets and has much of that in the
home and knows the value of keeping his home humidified in winter.
The piano is ebony satin, with surprisingly few scratches and dings
considering it's size and the fact it was in a home. It plays OK for
their purposes but could use a regulation including hammer shape,
knuckle and backcheck bolstering and some repinning of flanges. When
it was moved into the church we installed a full Dampp-Chaser system
and full drop cover, I did a thorough cleaning and tuned it after the
DC system
had been up & running a few weeks. I observed no soundboard cracks, no
string rust, just normal wear from his 2 daughters who took lessons
and played through college.

If I were to choose a piano for this church it wouldn't be a piano of
this caliber or size, however it has fallen into their laps, they have
a chance at
it so I'm trying to help them as much as I can. The son, who is a
member of the church also wants them to have it. We are in Southwest
Wisconsin, not a lot of pianos of this size are in this area and the
ones that are don't change hands often. So I'm looking for a fair
value, from a private party, for this piano.

Thanks to all and have a Happy Thanksgiving!!
Go Packers!!
Mike
--
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Michael Magness
email mike at ifixpianos.com