Current Value of Yamaha C7

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Wed Nov 21 09:33:38 MST 2007

Mike writes:

and I did tell them we could probably do something with acoustic
baffling using egg crate foam rubber to create a more pleasing sound.
They have to play it with the top closed and it can still be a little
loud.

...........It plays OK for
their purposes but could use a regulation including hammer shape,
knuckle and backcheck bolstering and some repinning of flanges.

Another possibility is voicing. Many Yamahas from this period had very stiff
hammers. By the work it needs, it has been played some, possibly exacerbating
that. Loosening up those hammers can not only remove some of the shrillness,
it can increase the sustain, making it sound less choppy. The foam helps with
the quantity of sound, but if it's shrill, it'll still be shrill, just not as
loud. I take care of a couple of C7's in big living rooms which sound fine
after appropriate voicing.

What size is the church?

Bob D