Another Ivory Key Tops Question

MICHAEL MORVAN keymaestro at verizon.net
Wed Nov 21 11:24:42 MST 2007

Rob,
    I have had the pleasure of receiving several ivory keyboards painted
white over the years and yes, have been asked to restore them. It has been
my experience that the paint is hiding something, either cracked ivory,
discolored etc.. The only thing you can do is lightly sand off the paint and
buff. This will take you more time than most clients are willing to pay for,
and unless the client painted the keys themselves, no one will know what is
under the paint until several hours of labor have been exhausted. Good luck.
Mike

Michael A. Morvan
Blackstone Valley Piano
Dedicated To Advancing The Art Of Keyboard Restoration
76 Sutton Street
Uxbridge, Ma. 01569
(508) 278-9762
Keymaestro at verizon.net