[CAUT] Soundboard mass

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Nov 21 21:29:37 MST 2007

Since my general protocol on rebuilds using original boards (Steinways
anyway) is to recap the capo section which often involves increasing the
bridge height, I have generally noticed (though very unscientifically) some
gain.  It wasn't clear to me whether that was simply due to rescaling that
section (I usually increase the tensions somewhat as they are often a bit
low--especially on the smaller grands), improved terminations, or, as we are
discussing, an increase in stiffness, as you have pointed out.  Since adding
stiffness is the usual goal on older soundboard killer octaves, what, if
any, would be a reason to not do this generally?  What sort of increase in
bridge height would be needed to effect a change in stiffness in that
section and what do you think might be the point of diminishing returns and
what would those be?  Something to ponder while gnawing on that turkey leg.
Or am I just full of stuffing?

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com