Baldwin: Good years and bad years?

kurt baxter fortefile at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 20:03:21 MST 2007

I tuned a Baldwin upright today, the size of a console but with a drop action.
The owner bought the piano new, she thinks in the 80's.

It looks great, very clean, low hammer wear. Sounds decent, and feels
nice for drop action.
However, it (in the owner's own words) "Won't stay in tune worth a damn".

After tuning it, I agree. The pin friction is all over the place, with
some pins in the bass being VERY loose.
Like almost slipping loose. There are a maybe only two or three pins
with that Baldwin-break-your-arm tightness,
and the rest are varying degrees of squirrelly. It has a 19 ply
dilignit-looking pinblock.

My main question here is: Was there a problem with Baldwin uprights in
the 80s that would explain this premature loosening on the pins?

What is the quality history of Baldwins through the years?

[kurt]