bushings damaged by wd 40

Gene Nelson nelsong at pbic.net
Fri Nov 23 15:51:48 MST 2007

Hello list,
Here again with more bushing woes.
Have a client with a relatively new (8yrs) Nordiska 5'8" and all of the hammer flanges are tight. There is no friction problems anywhere else in the action. I have reason to believe that these bushings were treated with wd 40 or similar - they were discolored and appeared a dirty burgundy color compared with the typical bright red on whip flanges.
First visit I chose 7 of the worst offenders and repinned. Friction was over 10g at the flange and was < 3g after repinning. I used my straight broaches to fit the new pin to the bushing - did not rebush - and the bushings were very difficult to size - had to shave off felt with the cutting part of the broach and only went 1/2 size larger on the pin.
Client calls today to say they are tightening up again. Have not experienced this before.
Also,  I treated all other flanges with ProTek and they responded very well - dropped the touchweight at the key from 67 to 57g on average. These are also tightening up according to the client. Did this work only 6 days ago. There are no excessive humidity issues in the home.
Will return to experiment with alcohol water and a zapper - electrically heat the pin to iron the bushing.
Anyone experienced with wd contaminated bushings I would appreciate advice.
The client cannot afford to rebush or replace parts - repinning appears to have some complication here for some reason.
Thanks.
Gene Nelson