bushings damaged by wd 40

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Fri Nov 23 17:49:55 MST 2007

Gene

It would be a good idea to ask the customer if another piano tuner did something to the action. You can smell WD 40 on the parts. You want to know this, so that the customer won't blame you for problems down the road. Suggest to?the customer that it will be better for you to do all of the centers the same, instead of doing only the worst ones, and having to come back, because eventually all of them will become sluggish.

The problem with WD40 is that it has penetrated the flange cloth. The stuff attracts dirt and humidity. So even though you can burnish and clean the cloth where it is in contact with the center pin, eventually the WD40 will soak through to the center pin again, and you'll wind up with the same sluggish action. So although the customer can't afford to replace the parts, unfortunately, that might be the only solution.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Honolulu, HI
Author of