Soundboard mass

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon Nov 26 09:20:08 MST 2007

At 07:23 -0800 26/11/07, David Love wrote:

>For those converting original pure compression boards to rib crowned and
>supported boards, how important would it be to consider the overall mass of
>the total rib scale of the original design versus that of the new design
>versus, say, simply the deflection characteristics of the new rib scale.
>Further, is there a way to numerically describe the desirable mass/stiffness
>ratio?

I'd say the only difficult thing to measure would be the degree of
inevitable improvement in the sound achieved by increasing the
stiffness:mass ratio, and that quite simply the greater the ratio the
better.  Too simple?  I doubt it, and some pretty extreme experiments
have convinced me this is so.

JD