1850's Pleyel Grand

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Mon Nov 26 17:06:00 MST 2007

Hi Ric.

I have the same ! I have the same !

Mine is 1853 (serial 19443), but for its time, it is old fashioned : it has
still a one piece bridge and the old fashioned iron strings, while at that
time, other Pleyels had the newer steel and two bridges.  Again, I suppose
there was no one day when old model was discontinued because of a new model,
and I suppose there were stocks of iron and cases that had to be exploited.
How is yours ?  Two bridges ?

On the action of mine, there is a printed logo of "Charlier, manufacture de
pianos, Paris".  I believe 1850ies were a period of huge output for Pleyel
(the last years of Camille, the son of Ignace), and they could have other
factories in Paris (there were hundreds at that time) make Pleyel pianos in
addition to the Pleyel factory output.  Pleyel did continuously try many
designs instead of sleeping on one good seller.  Mine has a very curious
cantilevered bridge.  I kept the original board, full of minor cracks (flame
suit on), and the original hammers (same), but I can swear you that the
piano sounds very good, very musical.

Pleyel-210-cm-#19443-(1853)-keyboard.jpg

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.