Soundboard mass

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Nov 26 21:08:03 MST 2007

> No I haven't built one of those...yet.  Do you think that an argument can be
> made, then, for using a heavier wood than spruce for the ribbing in the
> treble section?
>
> David Love

An argument can, historically, be made for anything one wishes
to argue about. My take is that doing a one-off redesign, the
odds of my hitting the optimal ratio of stiffness to mass at
all points in the scale on the first shot are vastly improved
by designing in an after the fact refinement mechanism for
when I don't. Anything can be complicated far beyond a
reasonable hope of practicality, but I like the simple
approach. Using a minimum of standard materials, and shade
tree mechanic methods, I find I can intentionally overshoot on
the treble stiffness, and adjust back with mass with more
control, and a higher level of dependability than anything
else I've tried. The difference is in whether or not your
design can be made to work to your satisfaction after it's
built. I prefer to build in some negotiation room, where I
can, and that means limiting the number and range of the
variables where possible.

The difference is, I think, whether the project is to meet
expectation and produce an anticipated and promised product
for a client, or a "let's see what we get" personal
experiment. Both are valid, but not interchangeable.
Ron N