Kimball Question

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Thu Nov 29 18:55:25 MST 2007

Hi Wim,

Perhaps I was a bit harsh to quickly dismiss the entire brand.  However, I've not meet a Kimball I liked.  Really.  I agree that some of the more recent models were improvements over the '60's and '70's era pianos, but still I found a piano with an extremely compressed dynamic range, poor touch, etc.  I guess I'd agree that the more recent ones were reasonably well built, just lesser quality materials, yielding a lesser quality product IMO.  On par with Everett studios or Baldwin Hamiltons of the same era.  As far as the older ones go (pre 1950 I think someone mentioned) perhaps a much better piano, but most of those are too worn out to be considered.

But, as I said in my original post, "There are exceptions, of course, but sight unseen, I'd never recommend a Kimball console for someone......."  I'll stand by that statement.  Larry and I don't agree on everything, and your point is well taken.

William R. Monroe

  Bill

  I must disagree with your assessment of Kimball pianos, especially one of the vintage mentioned. Yes, Kimballs made in the 60's and early 70's should never have been put on the market. But by the time the company stopped making these models, they were actually pretty good instruments. The held their pitch, were reasonably good sounding, and didn't play that bad, either. That is why Larry recommended that as good entry level pianos. But to reject the entire brand, I think, is not warranted.

  Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT