Left Handed tuning/pitch raises

reggaepass at aol.com reggaepass at aol.com
Fri Nov 30 14:04:38 MST 2007

Interesting and timely thread (for me, at least).  Lots of good input
about the benefits of tuning left-handed.

I have experienced increasing back problems as I grow into middle age.
The deep-tissue message therapist who works on me says the imbalance
between my right and left lats is exacerbating the problem.  The left
side is normally developed and the right side, highly developed.  This
is no doubt due to the asymmetrical nature of our work.  Anything I can
do to give the right side less of a work out and the left side more (in
exercise as well as work) would be beneficial.  So yesterday I did my
first complete tuning pass left-handed (and the ratio right to left is
now tens of thousands to one!).  It was a pitch-raise pass on an
upright done with an impact-tuning lever.  It was tedious and tiring,
but the longest journey begins with blah, blah, blah.

Looking back, here is some advise about tuning I wish I had gotten
decades ago (and headed):

Use hearing protection

Do at least some tuning with your non-dominant side.

Use some kind of key pounder (something between your hand and the key)
as much as is feasible for your personal hand traffic style (I have one
I use when sitting and another for standing).

Alternate between sitting and standing positions

Get a tuning lever that is as stiff and lightweight as possible (My
current weapon of choice n this regard is Fujan.  YMMV.)

FWIW,

Alan Eder