left-handed tuning

Michelle Smith michelle at smithpianoservice.com
Fri Nov 30 15:26:48 MST 2007

Thanks to everyone for your informative responses!  The reason I started
thinking about all of this was because of a piano I never want to see again.
(Ha Ha!)  It was a school upright that had been sitting in a small practice
room forever.  Something had happened with the pinblock and the pins would
barely move!  When I tuned left handed, I seemed to have to bring the string
really far sharp to get the pin to move even slightly.  One of the strings
broke and many others were probably on their way.  When I switched to my
right hand, the pins moved a little easier.  My theory is that the point of
pressure is different when tuning left handed (upward) as opposed to right
handed (downward) and that particular piano just couldn't take it.

I'm new to this thought process and I'm sure the seasoned tuners are reading
this and saying "Duh!"  =)

Thanks again for sharing your experiences.

Best wishes!

Michelle Smith

Bastrop, Texas

  _____