Hammer softening

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Tue Oct 2 12:48:38 MDT 2007

Gary:

I'm one who has used fabric softener but ONLY on extremely hard pressed
or over doped hammers.  On hammers that don't meet those criterion
fabric softener will make the felt puff out and be misshapen.  I have
some Baldwin 243HPs here that I've just brushed on some Snuggle and
isopropyl alcohol (1:7) on the strike point with an artist's brush.  It
has not affected the shape but has modestly softened the tone so I'm
happy.  Squirting it on with any kind of tool will usually put too much
on and give you bad results.  The hammers I'm doing this on are unable
to be penetrated with needles!

The isopropyl alcohol I'm using is the 70% stuff and the 30% water
probably helps too.  I've never used the 91% alcohol - it's usually more
expensive.

dp

David M. Porritt, RPT

dporritt at smu.edu