Protek Seizure

Jessica Masse ebonyandivory at on.aibn.com
Tue Oct 16 20:50:53 MDT 2007

Hi,
I once had a customer with a very old upright that would not return a
hammer butt.  I could tell by the dirt gripping the wood at the flanges
that the piano had been treated with some kind of oily spray.  I tried
the protek and nothing happened.  I then went to the wood alcohol/
methyl hydrate, with a twist.  The twist is I dissolved a pinch of Ivory
snow laundry detergent flakes in the solution I think in this case I
used 50/ 50  alcohol water and the flake (usually use
80Alcohol/20water).  Using a hypo put a drop on each side on the flange
bushing the water is supposed to shrink the bushing the alcohol help
evaporate the water.  I let it sit for the next day or two.  I think I
had to redo the worst offenders with the 50/50 I may have also used the
hairdryer while moving the parts.  It did work I don't know for how
long.  I think I tuned the piano for a few years and then the customer
had moved away.

I like to use bar soap where wood and leather things meet metal and are
binding or squeeking (key glides, pedals, trap work,   and windows, and
tables where wood meets wood).

In the Roslau piano wire factory the wire being cold drawn first goes
into a bath of dry soap flakes I think of Lie soap.  Then through the
diamond die.

Jessica Masse
RPT