Hoisting pianos

Greg Newell gnewell at ameritech.net
Sat Sep 1 22:51:03 MDT 2007

Terry,
         I'm leaving the hook or beam clamp up to
the contractor dude but you can be sure I'll be
looking at it closely before I ever use it. I'm
thinking HIS insurance will have to cover that.
He and I are working together on the project so I
think we'll come up with something good. I've
thought about the insurance angle too. I figure
one way or the other the church is paying for it
so either I have paperwork that they sign
stipulating that they're covering it or I get
quotes and they pay me the extra amount for a
temporary rider of sorts.  The insurance thing
was a concern of mine early on when I was
thinking of driving in a fork lift over their
ceramic tiled foyer floor and then the marble
tiled sanctuary floor.  Nobody said it would be easy, eh?

best,
Greg Newell

At 08:45 PM 9/1/2007, you wrote:
>Fair enough! One other thought: I sure hope
>someone is going to attach a hook more solidly
>than simply screw something into a wooden beam.
>IMHO it should be through bolted - and better
>yet, whatever the hook is through bolted
>through, that piece should be supported by several other beams.
>
>I hope you have the insurance worked out!   :-)
>
>I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but it sound
>like a project with some potential pitfalls.
>Good luck though. I hope you keep us posted. Pictures would be great!
>
>Terry Farrell

Greg Newell
Greg's Piano Forté
www.gregspianoforte.com