Hoisting pianos

Joseph Alkana josephspiano at comcast.net
Sun Sep 2 10:20:52 MDT 2007

Jacking and using cribbing is an old technique, which is still used today
with lots of modern machinery. As I said before, houses, lighthouses,
airplanes, submarines... in short, anything can be elevated to whatever
height you would like. Twenty feet for a 600 lb object would be very doable.
Yes, it takes skill and yes it takes the right materials. Usually the top
segment is bridged over the wall to another short pile of cribbing for the
horizontal phase.
I have seen this method used to lift houses to incredible heights. Somewhere
I have a picture of a house sitting on cribbing about 80 feet in the air.A
300 foot submarine was moved from a dock to a display area hundreds of yards
away, up and over an elevated railroad track even.
It was my understanding that nothing heavy could be used on the floor,
precluding use of cranes, lifting devices, etc. Just trying to give an
alternate technique that would work. Maybe not the one you'll use, but
certainly worth studying the history. The use of cribbing and air bags used
as the jacking force are quite common in rescue tactics too.
Joseph Alkana RPT