Hoisting pianos

Greg Newell gnewell at ameritech.net
Mon Sep 3 08:07:09 MDT 2007

Jon,
         This is still the way that I am leaning
although the cribbing is intriguing. If they can
install a beefy enough hook I'll be looking at
some sort of hoist and guide ropes for sure.
Takes much less time and you don't have that
dangerous walk across some sort of platform.
Though a block a tackle would work, Ron's
suggestion of a differential hoist seems much
better in that it locks if you let go. Question
about that though is how do you change direction?
Is there a lever on the hoist itself and if so,
once you hang it on the hook it would seems
pretty difficult to get back up there just to flip a lever.

best,
Greg

At 09:57 AM 9/3/2007, you wrote:
>Although cribbing is suitable for large
>structures, it wouldn't be practical for a piano.
>You would still need a hoist to lift the piano
>in order to place the cribbing underneath.
>So why not go with the hoist which is directly
>over the glass wall with ropes to guide
>the load to either side of the wall.
>
>Alternatively, some sort of boom but that would
>entail some beefy construction.
>
>Hopefully there is attic space so that beams can
>be run across the rafters to support
>a large eye bolt. But it's probably a vaulted ceiling.
>--
>
>Regards,
>
>Jon Page

Greg Newell