Hoisting pianos

Joseph Alkana josephspiano at comcast.net
Mon Sep 3 08:31:07 MDT 2007

Keep piano flat (horizontal) for safety, leveled on four beams at all times
(with shim cribbing). You could even use a square of 1 1/4" plywood  for a
flooring if you want to. Call this the piano assembly.

When lifted high enough, bridge gap with two or more beams under piano
assembly. Pull/slide piano assembly across to other stack of cribbing using
rope. Jack to remove bridge beams, lower piano assembly doing the reverse of
raising sequence until you reach normal working height. Tip up and etc, etc.

At this point I'm even thinking you could talk to a supplier of railroad
ties and ask to rent enough of them to do the job.

OK, that's my idea to you on this type of lift. Now, would anybody like to
expand on the possibility of using rented scaffolding to raise and lower the
piano? Two towers, rolling up a level at a time between the two. Raising
incrementally between lifts of piano to a new scaffolding floor...

Come on people, Let's think outside the box!

Joseph Alkana RPT