Pan screws in Steinway rails

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Mon Sep 3 19:32:32 MDT 2007

Happy Labor day
  I find our shop replacing  parts routinely on many Teflon era Steinway
pianos. No matter  what hammer shanks & flanges we use the pan screws seem to teak
the new  flanges fore, aft, sideways etc. This creates all kinds of
traveling ,fun...etc.
    All new known parts  suppliers have a flange that is substantially
thinner then the old  gi-normously thick flanges. One danger is the screw
penetrating the  bottom of the brass rail & splitting it out.,.. I've seen this more
than  once. Yes a washer helps to avoid this.
  My fix at this point is to replace  the pan heads with a Renner/German
style screw.  The problem is  this. On some, because the rails have a very coarse
thread already cut into  them by the pan heads, the New screws often will
start to strip under modest  torque.  Ughhh!
     If any of you have  a better option I'd love to hear it.
   On the next one I thought I'd  try a few drops of thin CA in the old holes
before inserting the new screw just  to re-enforce the existing wood/threads
already cut. The c.a. I think would be  best if it dried first.
  Any brains storms?
  Dale

Dale  Erwin--Piano Restorations
4721 Parker rd