Bridge Root Spring-Forward

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Sep 5 11:44:36 MDT 2007

Question for those who are in the habit of laminating up new bridge roots - or maybe even those who don't, but might have some thoughts to share. I just completed building a bridge root for a customer that came out very nicely, but the overall curve of the bridge is off by a couple millimeters or so, much like other ones I have built in the past. I really don't understand that.

One would think of the possibility of some small spring-back effect (but with 18 laminations?), but the curve error is always toward a tighter curve. How can that be?

I don't think it is a significant issue as you can easily correct the bend with your pinky - but still, how does this happen?

A couple pics for your viewing pleasure:

Terry Farrell
Farrell Piano

www.farrellpiano.com
terry at farrellpiano.com