Starrett tools on eBay

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Sep 5 15:42:31 MDT 2007

John Formsma wrote:
> Was looking through Starrett tools on eBay, and saw the following wire cutters:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2b5fwd
>
> http://tinyurl.com/yrub27
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2a3rzz
I'd recommend the 7” model.  I have about 4 pairs of these and have used
them all my working life.  I recently bought a very nice pair of 5½”,
and it would be nice if these could be used safely for everything, but
the thicker gauges of piano wire put them under far too much strain.
Starrett’s catalogue gives 0.050” (1.27 mm.) as the max. diameter for
the 5½” cut nippers and 0.080” (2 mm.)  for the 7”.  I think these
figures are optimistic when it comes to piano wire and would not use the
5½” for anything thicker than a No. 20 wire.
JD