Amatuer piano Tuning Tutorial on Youtube

Rob Goodale rrg at unlv.nevada.edu
Wed Sep 5 15:48:39 MDT 2007

I found what is possibly the most bizarre piano related nightmare on youtube.  I really can not describe this in words, it simply has to be seen to be understood, (if understanding is actually possible).  It is called Amateur Piano Tuning Tutorial.  It doesn't actually accomplishes anything unless you happen to be heavily under the influence of opium.

The "tutorial" is given by what can only be described as one of the strangest people who has ever lived.  It starts out in his bathroom mirror where he introduces the topic.  He then mentions that in order to tune a piano you need "something this shape or whatever" and retrieves a door stop from the floor to use as a mute.  He proceeds to the piano with the camera running making stops along the way to focus on irrelevant objects.  While talking he regularly turns the camera toward himself so that we get a close view of his missing tooth, eyes, whatever.  The video speed changes periodically as it deteriorates into what could only be described as a drug trip.

For those who wish to be amazed you can see it at:   youtube.com/watch?v=XQSG6NsQj30

Note that I left www. off the above address.  I have recently tried to post some other Youtube piano things on the list but apparently the list filters are stopping it.  I'm guessing it doesn't like links added to messages.  Add on the www. part and hopefully this will work.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV