[ExamPrep] Temperament (John Formsma)

holly quigley hollyquigley at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 12:27:01 MDT 2007

I've always been a little mystified by the debate of M3s *vs.* 4ths and
5ths. I thought the point of tuning a temperament via 4ths and 5ths was to
make it easier to get to the contiguous M3s as a finished product - ? That's
how I was taught, anyway, and I have recently transitioned from an F3 to F4
temperament to F3-A4 starting on A4 instead of C4. Not much changed in my
process, I still make 4ths and 5ths my basis with the goal being contiguous
M3s. I regularly check my intervals (and octaves) with several different
tests, and my tunings take me anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and a
half, depending on the piano and circumstance. But then again, I still
haven't bucked up to take my RPT exam, so what I'm doing might suck ;)

Cheers,
Holly Quigley
associate member