[ExamPrep] Temperament

Don pianotuna at accesscomm.ca
Wed Sep 5 17:36:19 MDT 2007

Hi Holly,

The advantages of major thirds are:

- easily heard partials that are unlikely to be confused with "the wrong set".
- no fixed beat rate but rather a ratio--so the piano "dictates" what it
needs rather than being "forced" into a "fit".
- division of the octave early in the sequence so that errors do not compound.

There are many others I'm sure--but I like baseball (three strikes and you
are *out*).

At 02:27 PM 9/5/2007 -0400, you wrote:
>I've always been a little mystified by the debate of M3s *vs.* 4ths and
>5ths. I thought the point of tuning a temperament via 4ths and 5ths was to
>make it easier to get to the contiguous M3s as a finished product - ?
>That's how I was taught, anyway, and I have recently transitioned from
>an F3 to F4 temperament to F3-A4 starting on A4 instead of C4. Not much
>changed in my process, I still make 4ths and 5ths my basis with the goal
>being contiguous M3s. I regularly check my intervals (and octaves) with
>several different tests, and my tunings take me anywhere from 45 minutes to
>an hour and a half, depending on the piano and circumstance. But then
>again, I still haven't bucked up to take my RPT exam, so what I'm
>doing might suck ;)
>
>Cheers,
>Holly Quigley
>associate member
>
> No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition.
>2:55 PM
Regards,

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-539-0716 or 1-888-29t-uner