Tuning pin drilling?

jimialeggio5 at comcast.net jimialeggio5 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 5 21:31:31 MDT 2007

Terry,

You're right...I've already accepted the torque discrepancy as not too bad.
What bugs me is why the smaller pins are tighter...its all backwards.

My criteria for choosing full thickness Delignit is that as a high end woodworker,
I have been responsible for chopping up way more old growth lumber than I would have liked.
Not only that, but quarter sawn lumber is a really inefficient use of the logs board footage.
If there is no other choice I will relunctantly use the old growth, but when, as in the case of
Delignit, an engineered substance exists, I really would prefer to use it instead.

Yes, its unforgiving.  That's why I've tried to design a drilling process that resembles more
what a machinist would do, rather than what a woodworker would do.
Its also why I chose not to drill in the piano, which from all other angles is more efficient than
drilling on the bench.

Jim I
-------------
You get all your tuning pin torques within 20-25 in.-lbs. - and you are
complaining? I'm really just kidding - but gosh, that's not all that bad! I
understand your question and I agree that it seems weird. I really don't
know why that would be. I'm curious though - I usually use either a
quarter-sawn 5-ply hard maple pinblock or the rotary-sawn Multilam
hard-maple block from Pianotek (although usually with a Delignit cap) -
don't you find the Delignit somewhat unforgiving? Just curious about your
criteria for block selection.

Thanks.

Terry Farrell