Tuning pin drilling?

jimialeggio5 at comcast.net jimialeggio5 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 5 21:53:43 MDT 2007

Ron,

<The ground down section is not really necessary. The second
<pass will center nicely in the pilot hole automatically. I
<suspect, in fact, that an old worn out sloppy press like my
<own aids this self centering, if anything. Then again, have
<you tried test drilling some Delignit scrap in a single pass
<with this step drill?

I thought about trying the step drill in a single pass, but I had the
pilot set up as a non-cutting tip.

<What pins are you using, that you get that much variation?

Denro nickel and blued.  What do you use, and how much variation do you get.
These Denros are inconsistent top to bottom as well.

<Since I started using the 9mm Delignit capped maple multilam composite, I get higher final
<torque with the 6.8mm second pass than I did with Delignit.
<The bit mic's the same, so it's not wearing down smaller,
<otherwise I don't know why that is.
<Ron N

That's interesting.  Counterintuitive, but consistent...something secret is going on the
hole.  I wonder if the .282 pins are large enough that they are shearing fibres as they go
in, while the lighter pins are compressing fibres.

Jim I