Tuning pin drilling?

jimialeggio5 at comcast.net jimialeggio5 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 5 22:41:43 MDT 2007

<Be advised then, that the multilam maple blocks are rotary cut.

Consider me advised.

" Its also why I chose not to drill in the piano, which from all other angles is more efficient than
 drilling on the bench."

<You lost me there. Explain please?
<Ron N

Most of the setups that I've seen for drilling in the piano require a long bit and a mobile drill press, both of which, to
my mind, introduce  inconsistencies which would be incompatible with the unforgiveness of the
full thickness Delignit.

I'm also fully aware that many people do get very fine results drilling in the piano. But those results are achieved because the equipment and operator know each other well and the process has been developed to suit both equipment and operator.

For instance, you use an  "in the piano" drilling setup. It obviously works great for you.  But  I would bet that the aged give that your press provides is essential to the success of your procedure, and that it  would be hard to quantify and transfer to another shop, press and operator. You and your drill press have grown together and know each other well.

Knowing my equipment and myself I don't think the "in the Piano" scenario would work...for me...assuming full thickness Delignit remains a defining assumption.

Sounds like previously you were able to use the full thickness Delignit.  Why did you switch to the composite?

Another reason I'm going after the full thickness delignit is cost. Its one  of the least expensive block materials, but an excellent block material...the only caveat being that you must deal with the inconsistency issue. The multilam/delignit composite is attractive, but as you have to purchase multilam and delignit as well as perform secondary operations to create the composite some of the efficiency of drilling in the piano is absorbed by the cost of making the composite.

So my choice of drilling on the bench rather than in the piano, allows me fixture and control the process more as a machinist would........for now......

Jim I

When I work out a process, the process has to fit my own person quirks. One of my quirks is